Saturday, October 11, 2008

Raid to the Rescue

I spent yesterday with my wonderful husband to celebrate his birthday, but then came today to spend time with grandma. Mom came over too to help show me how to make home-made bread. The same recipe we grew up with. I've already tried it once and added too much flour, so I wanted to see the expert at work. Mom brought over fresh ground soft white wheat flour and so we made a batch. It tastes good, it just fell flat. She'd never made bread with this wheat before and we realized that it is probably best for rolls and pastries. Well, as we're talking with grandma and such mom brings up the topic of a wheat grinder. She said that grandad had brought one home once and that she'd never seen it. We asked grandma where it was and she didn't know. Out to the garage I go and I can't find it. One last place to look is inside a blanket hutch next to the fridge. I can't figure out what's in the chest but we deduct that it's perhaps the wheat grinder and we sould pull it out. WELL......
Out comes the wheat grinder, but not without roaches crawling around the bottom of the hutch. I'm grossed out and so is mom and grandma. We'd grab the raid to kill them, but then they are coming out of the grinder!!!! More and more are coming out and they are all sizes....so gross I know...you had to be here. Then we decide to pull the grinder out of the garage (mom wanted it inside to clean it, but I said let's make sure they're all out). So, out into the driveway it goes and....I'll not give any more details other than we were all screaming and grossed out and I moved my car and we wished we had a video to show this hilarious site of 3 women in a driveway between 2 cars with a broom and raid and ahhh noises.
We cleaned it up and moved the grinder into the kitchen-after we'd ground wheat in the little red wagon in the garage to double make sure no more roaches. Grandma was sweeping the garage out and the garage door had been left open. Mom and I are cleaning the grinder when in flies a HUGE roach and I start screaming for grandma to get the raid and come in to kill the roach. Mom makes a swoop attack with a fly swatter and grandma brings the raid and I stand back being grossed out all over again. Grandma asked "Are you sure you still want to spend the nigth????"
Yes, I'll be spending the night, but we have made a commitment with grandma that the garage will be cleaned and swept out soon. Any of my siblings have flashbacks???

6 comments:

David said...

It's hard to imagine Grandma's house having an infestation, because I remember how perfectly clean everything was.

What a crazy experience!

Silvia and Steven said...

I have to say I laughed as I read this post. I was imagining it all so vividly I guess. Quite an experience you had. I would've had a hard time seeing one or two roaches. Let alone all the ones you saw! Hopefully you got them all!

John-n-Mel said...

JOhn said Raid is a staple in Texas and the story brought back memories of a nest that got hit by Mom and Audrey once in the house.

Your story gave me chills, would've had a hard time watching that, sounded like a movie, a horror movie. :)

Teandra said...

That is really nasty!

Audrey said...

This totally reminded me of the nest we found in mom's cookbooks that were about the fridge. We screamed for quite awhile. It was gross!! It was a horror movie clip!

The 3 Nomads said...

I was really excited about moving to Texas, except for the idea about being around big bugs...specifically roaches!! YUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!!
I seriously think I would have piled us all into the car and called an exterminator to de-bug the entire neighborhood. You are a very brave person.
I have been to 2 kids museum with animals and they both had roaches on display. I just really don't get it.