Sunday, November 23, 2008

Stake Conference

It was really nice not to work this weekend as we had Stake Conference last night and today. It was also really nice to get some rest on Saturday as I'd caught a cold on Wednesday and it wasn't leaving. It was announced last Sunday that an area authority Elder Pickerd would be at our conference today. Clint and I wondered if it was someone we knew, but dismissed it. Then as we sat down last night for the adult session, barely getting there before it started, I looked up on the stand and lo and behold, there was our old Stake President from Houston-Katy Stake. He was the presiding Elder at our Conference. It was wonderful to see him again and he gave us hugs after the meeting and we caught up with each other quickly. He'd been released in February of this year, called at General Conference (with 38 others he said) in April and moved to Phoeniz, AZ in June.
I know he's been called of God and has a strong testimony of His work, as are the other men who serve in our Stake and Ward. I'm grateful for all those who give of their time and talents to building up Zion.
I never thought that I might know personally a general authority and now I do. Just one of those things in life you don't expect, but it's a pleasant suprise when it happens.

No comments: