Thursday, July 10, 2008

New Job and Clint's news

Well I finally started my job this week. Who would of thought that I've have to have a drug test, flexibility test, hearing test, eye test and a physical-all before I could fill out new hire paperwork and start a part-time job. But I obviously cleared with flying colors and began yesterday. I will be heading up a fire hydrant inventory project with the City of Garland. I will have to go and visit every fire hydrant in th city-not so bad right? I got onto the GIS intranet site and selected the fire districts, the fire houses, and then I selected the fire hydrant option. The city changed from 11 colored areas to a leparous red. I just about dropped my jaw in amazement and wondered exactly how many of these little red hydrants there might be. My boss popped his head in the door and I asked him. Oh, about 7,000 he said. WOW, not just a few hundred, but several thousands. No wonder they hired me-I won't be returning to school and leaving the project unfinished next month. It'll probably take 6 months to complete. Then I went to a meeting with the water department and the fire department heads to talk about the project. We wondered what information they would want to know about the hydrants and if we could get their help. I'd heard that fire fighters had had a few problems of fire hydrants not being in the location that the map showed when they'd pull up to a fight a fire. I then learned that sometimes the hydrants will be there, but not work. Wouldn't that be important information to know before you got to a fire? So, I'm very excited to be working on this project-it makes me wonder about the hydrant across the street. I might call the fire department and ask the last time it was checked or had maintenance...hmmm...

Clint and I went to have physicals a few weeks ago. We have different doctors, but I believe I'll be switching to his from now on. My doctor wasn't as thorough as Clint's. His doctor asked him a bunch of questions. Also, he spent 2 1/2 hrs at the doctors and I spent 1/2hr. But, when the doctor heard my heart beat they didn't hook me up to an EKG like Clint's did. His pulse was below the normal 60; it was in the 40's. The nurse had a look of shock when she took his pulse. After the EKG the doctor asked Clint a few questions that Clint confirmed and then he gave the diagnosis: Sinus Bradycardia, which means Clint's heart is so good he just might live to be 130-his goal.

Another thing that's come from the doctor visit is that Clint is in no danger of having a heart attack. His cholesterol is so low it's abnormal. No family history ever of anyone having a heart attack, and I've tried to have him cut down on his fat intake-no need, he has a 'no stick' policy with his veins. He says just call me "Teflon Don".

The last thing is that his platelet count is low. So, he went back on Tuesday for another blood test. Then he went back today for yet another blood test. The second blood test showed low hemoglobin and low hematocrit. So this third time around they took more blood than the first 2 times and we think he probably has anemia, but we'll wait to hear what the doctor says. Meanwhile Clint's spending hours at the computer applying to jobs-that's his new job. ha,ha,ha.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish my veins rejected cholesterol like Clint's!

Teandra said...

He's a lucky man. That must be very comforting for you!

Jessica Marie said...

Hey Elle, I know Clint's wanting to do some stuff with Scottish tartan. There's a Scottish store here in SLC that he might want to contact. Will you email me about it? I don't have your email address. Thanks!

Crystalyn said...

Will all the doctors I've gone to I have no idea what me cholesterol is. I hope I have it. But I am anemia when I'm pregnant.

I was really interested in your fire hydrant job. Sounds perfect to me.