Before I got out of my car this morning my phone rang. It was the Captain of the Fire Dept that schedules my driver. Yes, they've nicknamed me 'Miss Daisy'. Anyway, he wanted to know if he could switch my drivers from C to G and I said, well I'm not in the office yet, I'll have to see if I have another driving schedule I could use and he said, 'well, nevermind, we'll just stick to the plan and you'll have G drive you on Mondays and Fridays.' Then he says 'I told G & C that you plan your driving schedule depending on who the driver is and they looked at me like I was crazy! but I couldn't lie to them."
Now, the story behind this conversation is that I started out with one guy driving me, N, then after a week it was a different driver, M. Well, I had M driving me for 3 weeks with an occation change of driver on a Friday. Then C shows up to drive for a few days, then G shows up to drive me. Well, soon G was driving me around everyday and he's not like the other drivers. G isn't able to drive and talk at the same time. So, having a conversation while I'm directing which way to go and telling him when to stop because that's what we do when there's a hydrant on the road, just seemed like too much to juggle.
Then I run into one of the occational drivers and she asked how it was going with G. I said it was a little tough driving and talking and she says she found that out 20yrs ago when they went on a run together. GREAT, why didn't someone think about my safety considering we went from driving in an unmarked car, to a flat bed with lights you couldn't see, to the battalion suburban we're in right now just to make sure people could see us when we're stopped. So I figured out real quick that I had to be careful which routes we would drive depending on who was driving me. The captain sent out a schedule saying who would drive me when, but everyday G seemed to be showing up and not the other drivers on the schedule. I finally called the captain one day and asked if G would be driving me since the schedule the captain had sent seemed to have gone out the window and and he asked if all was okay and so we had a talk. (It didn't help that I was sick for a few days and tried to talk less-that seemed to make it worse. Then G started giving imput as to where we would be driving and I didn't have the strength to fight it-and I couldn't just show him the map that showed where we were to go-he's not able to look at anything but the road when driving otherwise watch out!)
The biggest problem is that I can't log into our software program to print maps for routes unless the guy who has the license user agreement is in the office-not the case at 7:00am, he comes in around 8am and I'm already on the road. I plan my routes the day before. Anyway, I hope the drivers don't ask and I won't have to tell why they need to stick to the driving schedule and not change it on their own-for my sanity (and safety) sake. Am I crazy???
2 comments:
Oh, that's funny. Horrible for you that you have such an awful driver! But funny for us.
You're not crazy. That's terrible. I feel your pain, with dumb people.
Post a Comment