Saturday, March 15, 2008

Our New Home

Well, it's all final. We own a home. And to clarify we own a brand NEW home. We purchased a home from Kimball Hill Homes and it has been a great experience working with them. Not so great on the mortgage/title side. I won't go into details about the painful process that we went through with the closing, etc. just suffice it to say-there's a reason I don't want to do this again for a very very very long time-if not ever again. Perhaps with all the mortgage bust going on some things might change for the better, I can hope right?

Thanks for all you who have commented on my handy skills. I feel the need to clarify how far my handy skills go. I have no experience and hope to never have experience laying tile or countertops. Our new home has granite countertops in the kitchen and tile floor in everyplace but living and bedroom areas. Since the grout that surrounds tile is porous as well as granite, these things need to be sealed. All I have to do is spread 3 coats of a clear, kinda sticky stuff onto the grout and over the countertops (oh, and backsplash) so that when things are spilled onto them they don't leave a stain. This process should be a routinely completed every 1-2yrs. So, alas, it's kinda like painting, but on your knees (for the tile anyway). Sorry to have mislead anyone. I'm a simple handywoman-but I can work on cars and plumming. :)

We spent our first night in our home last night and were so happy. We won't move our things into the house until next weekend, so it felt like staying in a hotel, except the only furniture was the blowup mattress. But yeah we are moving forward and that feels good.

6 comments:

MacMui Mom said...

A huge congrats!!!! We are soooo excited for you! Can't wait to visit!

Hugs,

Lisa

Silvia and Steven said...

YAY! Elle & Clint! It's so exciting to hear all about the new house. I'll be even more excited to see the pictures of the house! :o) You still do/know a lot more than me I'm sure. What a good example you are. Just a compliment you deserve.

Crystalyn said...

Oh Wow. Tell me all about it. How many bedrooms. What kind of yard. Granite counter top how nice!!! What kind of neighborhood. How far to the grocery store. How far to your parents. Does this mean Clint is not moving back to his old job. You are for sure in Dallas until he gets his own business? Does it have a garage? How was the new ward today? EVERYTHING

Jen said...

yeah Elle Thats great! Congrats. New homes are so nice arent they?

Teandra said...

How exciting! I'm happy for you guys. Sealing is actually the easiest part. Enjoy!

Crystalyn said...

I have been asking my Texas friends what Forney is like. They tell me it is beautiful. I am so jealous. Congratulations.